Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Trying it on for size

I've been thinking of blogging. Dreaming of it, even. I think of posts when I walk the dog, when I read a good article, when I am frustrated with a situation in my life. I need an outlet. In the past, I think I have been scared to be too honest. I have limited the scope of my writing to protect myself, and my family. And I think a certain amount of discretion, or privacy is appropriate. But, I think being more honest and more open, gives me a lot more to write about. And my life is so full. There is a lot beyond having a son with autism. And while my life is certainly not miserable, I have been struggling with some things. And I think writing about them will help me process them and figure them out. Sometimes thoughts and feelings evolve through moments in life, through conversations, through time...

And I have been taking some time. But, one thing I hate is people who are enthusiastically happy, ALL THE TIME. I like positive people, but not the people who don't seem real because everything is always perfect and sunny. I don't believe them. I like the funny, sarcastic, melancholy folks a bit more. I like a friend I can gripe with and laugh with. Who will complain about her kid, or mock a silly parenting situation. And while I don't think I have presented myself as one of those crazy happy people, I have been careful about what side of myself I have shown. I think now, that showing some other sides of myself, particularly maybe the ones that make me nervous, or that I'm not so proud of will be, eventually, freeing. Kind of a relief. This is my new self medicating therapy plan. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment