Monday, August 16, 2010

The Little Person

"Orca seals!"

"I used to have two Daddies. Then one grew up and became my Grandpa."

"If little bunny foo foo doesn't listen, then I will turn into a goon."

"No-possums. You got that Mom?"

"Do you know the Barbie cake, Mom? My Grandpa had one of those."

"I'm so cited for camp, Mom."

"How come you say mm hmm all the time Mom?"

These are some examples of things The little Person has said recently. I always say I'm going to write them down, and I even reserved a notebook for the little tidbits. But besides the one time I remembered to write it down, we mostly pass on his Little Person-isms by telling them to the people we think will care. Like The Grandparents, and Babysitter Extraordinaire, and Lovely Neighbor. So, I thought i would share some with you to keep them for posterity. I'd like to think I will keep sharing them, but the reality is probably slim. It's the thought that counts, right?

Both the kids have been really fun lately, but there is a behavior we are trying to curb with The Little Person. Lying. It takes three forms:
  1. Lying because he thinks we will be mad that he did or didn't do something.
  2. Lying because he thinks what we will do will hurt and he is scared.
  3. Telling stories about his "Grandpa." This would be cute except when asked he says he's talking about my grandfather or M's Dad, both of whom have passed away. It's kind of cute in that he imagines a relationship with them. His Grandpa is like an imaginary friend who lets him do anything, and does anything with and buys anything for him. Lot's of it doesn't make a lot of sense literally, but shows a lot of imagination.
Also, there are issues with "being first" and "winning." I'm not sure how to deal with this, though another mom says they frame it in terms of sportsmanship. I also remind him that if he doesn't share/always has to win/be first, other kids aren't going to want to play with him. And the piece de resistance...it's not nice! Works every time.

Did I mention his imaginary friend, Dante?





No comments:

Post a Comment