Monday, August 31, 2009

He Wants Spaghetti for Breakfast

I am back. Actually, I have been back since Friday, but even though I have had several blog posts in my head throughout the week, I have had trouble committing pen to paper. Oh, you know what I mean. It is as if the more time that passed, the more overwhelming the task felt. I had too much too say and didn't know where to start to catch up. And somehow, if I didn't tell you all of it, then I would forever be behind.

It was a good week, though not without its challenges. M erased the videos on Sam's ipod and we had no internet except for our Blackberrys. This was our first trip to VT since Sam started really using the internet, and being a whole week without it was hard for him. For us too. The combo of the internet and his ipod are calming for him. Sam is an all water all the time kid when he has access, so anytime you were outside you had to be prepared for him to go in the pond and monitor him once he was in there. It was spectacularly buggy, so sometimes I sat with my head wrapped in a towel. This was only moderately effective, but it did give my family something to poke fun at. Sam did a great job swimming this past weeks. Lots of laps in the pond and at a friend's pool. Seems like the year of private swimming lessons may have paid off. The weather was great, and we were fortunate to have access to a pool with a view. Also, some good, understanding family friends to hang out with while we were there. We went in the river a couple of times, one of which was a total mud fest where we had to drag both kids out screaming. That was fun.

One night we had dinner with some AK friends living in VT. We had a great time, and while we were there the kids gave my MIL a run for her money. The little one, who has been almost completely potty trained for weeks, a month (?) totally regressed and started having accidents the minute we got there. The night we went out, he pooped his pants, and so she took him up to the bathroom to clean him up. She was cleaning out his undies in the (clean) toilet when she heard the front door (we have a chime on the door), signaling Sam's bolt for freedom. She told the little one to stay where he was and not move, and ran down to look for Sam. She looked out the door, didn't see him and started yelling for him and he came pretty quickly. By the time she got back upstairs to the little person, he had flushed the toilet. With his underwear. In the 200 year old pipes...So the plumber came the next day.

It was a great week, but a hard one for me. No school/break every day and limited childcare has been exhausting and frustrating. Today, I am already tired, as it was my day to get up with Sam. I was a little crabby with him this morning. He wanted leftover spaghetti and meat sauce at 6am, and I couldn't cope. Of course, now that I've succumbed and warmed up the pasta, he is happy as a clam. Unfortunately, me seeing the error of my ways didn't come until after we had woken M up.

School doesn't start until Wednesday, and then they have Friday AND Monday off. As if they need a four day weekend after a whole summer off. Actually, Sam has only been off for a week and a half. But still...

No comments:

Post a Comment