Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Post Christmas Letdown


Not sure if I can post to the blog outside here in my adirondack chair, but I can certainly type and post later. It is a little cool though in the shade, which is the only place I can see to write. I have taken off my sun hat and sunglasses, and am taking advantage of a few moments of peace. I am writing because I am not feeling motivated to do much else.

Sam threw up on the van this morning (I think as he was getting off), so M went to pick him up around 9ish after he dropped off The Little Person. I cancelled my workout plans (sorry Mer), to stay home with the boy while M went to go look at a house we were considering for living or for an investment. The house is almost 300 years old, on over 2 acres, in our town, and appeared to be a screaming deal. It has only been on the market a few days, and we heard about it from The Lovely Neighbors. Did I mention it has a pool? Anyway, M left, and Sam (fine except for a fever) hung out for a few minutes and then went to pick up The Little Person from school. Then we went over to the house to meet M, so I could take a look.


To make a long story short, I don't think we will be buying it. It is certainly a unique old house, and has a lot of the features that are in our ideal vision of a house. And it's pretty close to our current house. The thing is, I wasn't wowed. The house needs a lot of work, both inside and out to make it as amazing as it could be. And even though we have the time, and are financially in a situation to make it happen, I'm not sure I want to. First of all, I am very happy with where I am. The house we live in is not architecturally unique, and it doesn't have a lot of land, but it is in good condition, it has a nice fenced in yard and good security for Sam inside the house. Plus it has a finished basement and I like the kitchen. And I really like the neighborhood. The other house is more isolated, and it is not move in ready (at least for our family with our particular needs). As an investment, it is not likely to bring a huge profit even in tip top shape, and the idea of fixing it up doesn't get me all excited like you would want before a big renovation.

The thing is, even though I didn't really want it, and it made me realize that I'm happy where I am, I feel that sort of post-Christmas let down you get after you open all of the presents, or the day after Christmas. I think I got all excited about the Possibility of Change. Now I have to rev myself up for doing things to the house we live in, to make it even better for the long term. I just think it's funny that I'm sort of depressed about not buying a house I wasn't even looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment