Sunday, September 20, 2009

The more things change...

Wow, when you haven't written for a while, it gets harder to write. I have posts in my head, but somehow don't find the time to sit down and commit. And I hate it when the blogs I read go dormant for periods of time.

Things have been pretty good here at the Sammy Noodles household. The kids are getting into the swing of the new school year. Actually, Sam and I have not been butting heads much at all. I think part of it is the sleep. M was in VT for a few days to do some work on the farmhouse and I was alone with the kids. When Sam would get up at some ungodly hour, I would do what I normally do: let him go pee and encourage him to go back to sleep, trying to keep him in there till at least 6am. It helped that one day he actually slept till 6:30. Then I would open the door, let him out and grant him access to the basement ( computer and TV) and go back to my bed, with the door to my bedroom open. Then I would snooze till the small person woke up, around 7am. I did it today when M was back, and it worked pretty well. Sam is fairly self sufficient in the morning, our house is safe for him, and the extra snooze time seems to work wonders for me.

Sam has been doing well at school in some ways, and having some challenges as well, which is not unusual. The two steps forward, 4 steps back thing is exhausting for me, though. I just wish he could get past some things, instead of having to revisit the same issues again and again. I know that is the nature of the beast, but this months clinic meeting was difficult. I cringe at hearing all of his behavior detailed into charts: the number of bites, the number of attempted bites, the number of tantrums, and episodes of flopping (resistance is futile). On the other hand, he has made stopping into his first grade classroom to do work, a regular part of his morning routine, which is great. And I got a chance to meet his new first grade teacher, Mrs. C, and she was really lovely. Of course, I was the only parent weeping at the Open House, but still. Sitting among the parents of his typical classmates discussing all of the things they were doing that he is not ready for yet, was hard, but I made it.

Next up, going with Sam's class to see Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, and taking him apple picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment