Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thing One And Thing Two

Let's see, it has been a while. I had a post started, but now it seems to dated and tangential. I meant to post half a dozen times, but things kept happening. Not important things, just things. Make sense?

Sam has been good overall i guess, but weirdly into things. M's shaving cream. The matches. The pump soap. The knives (he actually is a good cutter). So there is that. And, recovering our schedule and structure post vacation. There has been more TV watching and more snacking then I would like. And he and I haven't done as much computer work lately as we had been prior to our trip. But I'm too tired to protest or put in the extra effort to change the situation. I don't know if it's his early wakings, or something in my own body, but I have been fairly low energy lately. Also, I seem not to have a lot of patience. And I feel frustrated at not keeping up on this blog, and generally being behind on my own stuff. And yet, I'm too tired to do much about it. At least not cheerfully.

That said, we had a great weekend in Vermont. It was fairly warm and humid, and so we spent a lot of time outside, running around, hiking and playing. Sam spent some time in the muddy pond, and there were some water squirters involved in the festivities. We even went to lunch at The Long Trail Brewery, on a particularly nice day. The kids did okay, but I remember feeling stressed and annoyed. We also got to have a nice dinner out at the home of some Alaskan friends now living east. Plus, there were a couple of additional Alaskan folks we hadn't seen since we've been back. So it was a very nice, comfortable evening with old friends. Then we arrived back to get the evening report from my MIL. Apparently there was some shaving cream shenanigans from both children, and they made a huge mess.

We went to the Aquatic center in White River Junction, Vermont on the way home yesterday. We purposely went on a weekday, and it was fairly empty. Which was perfect for us. the kids had a ball, and we enjoyed ourselves too. They had a water slide, a splash park/water playground area, and a lazy river (my favorite). The price was reasonable, and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating as we tried to prevent Sam from running, or going down the water slide head first. After the kids were exhausted, we left, bribing them with the lure of french fries. Amazingly, we didn't hit traffic, even leaving the Aquatic center after 3PM.

We came home and had a BBQ with my parents. They got all the food, and M just had to grill. I had just had it with the kids by this point, but the cherry on top was when we went to put the kids to bed, and take a walk while my Mom stayed at the house. M went to start the process, and found The Little Person in the bathroom, on the toilet. Great. Not so great was the poop on the floor. Apparently, he somehow didn't make it, squatted on the floor, and then got on the toilet. And got it on the shower curtain, his pants and other things I won't mention. M was in the think of it and didn't want me to come in and help, so I didn't. When we were finally walking later, I said that I was sorry he'd had to deal with that. he said it was fine. I said, "No, I'm really sorry, that sucked."
My loving husband looked at me and said, "I just felt bad for you." Confused, I asked why. M replied, " Because all I could think (while it was happening) was how I never want to have a dog again. Because that's what it reminded me of. Having to clean dog poop off the rug. And I feel bad for you, because I know how much you want one." And I was quiet. I knew I was supposed to feel sympathy for M having to deal with the whole encounter. But instead, I was pissed at the loving husband and the evil child for ruining my puppy dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment