Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Parenting in IKEA

Yesterday we took The Little Person to IKEA for lack of any other ideas while Sam had respite with L. The first forty-five minutes were great. The Little Person went happily to the play area while we toodled around.

We got to the end of the upper floor and were by the food. M went to use the restroom and I looked for this mini tent with stuffed animals in it that I had seen on display. While I was wandering back through the maze I atpped to ask an employee for help, and the woman was calling security for help with a nine or ten year old boy laying on a bed in the kids area who did not respond when she spoke to him. I followed her back to the child because I was concerned he was autistic. He was indeed lying on a child's bed with eyes open and unable or unwilling to speak. I walked back and got M and by the time we got to the child his parent/guardian was there WITH HIS WALKER. Yes folks, his caregivers left him there while they explored IKEA. He was significantly disabled both physically and cognitively. I can only imagine that's how desperate they were for a break from their life. We sat near them at lunch, and they appeared happy and loving. I was angry and felt sick when I first heard the IKEA employee tell the caregiver that he could not just leave him there. It hit a little too close to home. It was awful, but I don't know their life and I can't even imagine how they handle situations and make decisions affecting that young boy.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment