Monday, March 8, 2010

Tired when I sleep

Today was my day to sleep and I almost feel more tired. Go figure. Pretty good weekend, though I'm not sure exactly what we did. I do remember fries and shakes (shamrock for me) at McDonald's and then not being able to eat dinner. It was so worth it. Today Sam had swimming. The problem with swimming is mostly the time. It is at 3:15PM, and he gets home at 3PM. It takes a good 20 minutes to get to the YMCA, so we are always late. But, if I pick him up at school, which is out near the Y, we will be too early, which is also a problem. The lesson is a private lesson, so it is more expensive, and it is only a half hour, so being late cuts into an already short lesson. So today it was beautiful out, and I though, maybe I can pick him up early (I think school technically ends at 2:50PM), and let him play on the playground for 10 minutes and then go to the lesson and be on time. I called his teacher and arranged to meet them at the back door by the playground at 2:45PM, to avoid some of the end of school chaos. It seemed like a great plan and I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of something that made it easier for both of us.

This is where the plan fell apart. Murphy's Law. I arranged to meet a friend (massage therapist extraordinaire) at the farm-stand less then 2 minutes from Sam's elementary school. They have great sandwiches and a great outdoor space, so we could sit outside. Plus it was near Sam's school and the highway, so said friend could hop on and get to work in Boston. Alas, the place was closed on Mondays this time of year. So we had to regroup from my original perfect plan. We decided to head to a coffee shop in the center of town with outdoor seating as well. It cut into our time slightly, but not too badly. So we get there, and decide to have dessert for lunch with our coffee. We get a selection of sweets and find a sunny table outside. Life is good. Then I get a text from Sam's swimming instructor. I have been waiting to hear from her since last Monday. She is sick, and needs to reschedule. Great. I have already arranged to pick Sam up, so I still will, but hopefully he is not too excited about swimming. I will let him play at the school playground for a bit if he wants, but otherwise will go home. This all takes place an hour before the lesson. I can see how if you are sweet and nice and nineteen (?), it seems reasonable to cancel within a few hours of an appointment. But kids get used to routines, especially kids with autism, and change is difficult. Fortunately, Sam was fine with going home, and lovely lunch continued without (another) hitch. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment