Thursday, January 14, 2010

Busy Day

Today a dear part of our extended family is being laid to rest. The funeral and burial are all really close to our house, so we are assisting with some details to make the day a little easier. One cousin is being picked up at the airport, flying in for the day, and we are watching her sister's twins (who are too young to attend the funeral). They are being dropped off by my Aunt and Uncle. Depending on how the twins are doing, I may slip out and go to the funeral and skip the burial so as not to leave M alone for too long. The Little Person and I will probably pay a condolence call later, and hope that he can entertain his cousins and lighten the mood while I pay my respects.

Then we are leaving tomorrow afternoon for a long weekend in VT. Later in the week, M will be going to AZ to attend a memorial for his aunt with his mom and brother. Four days alone with the kids, and no grandparents around! I'm just glad we are now around to attend and help out at these family events. Plus, as I may have mentioned before, I have the best babysitters around. It feels so limiting to call them that, since they mean so much more to our family. To go from no help to amazing help and support. It makes me feel good and strong and like a part of my community who is not only identified by the difficulties in my life.

I have also been reading a book which has had an unexpected impact on me. The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin, is a look at a year dedicated to finding more joy in her life. There are no magical discoveries or changes, in her or me, but the awareness of myself, in her words to be Gretchen (be true to her nature) has stayed with me.

Also, I made my difficult phone call yesterday regarding Sam, and I imagine I will get a call back mid-morning when I am fully involved with family responsibilities. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment